Monday, February 13, 2012

Shakespeare Sonnet 130

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun    

by William Shakespeare 
 
My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress when she walks treads on the ground.
     And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
     As any she belied with false compare.

10 comments:

  1. In this poem he is basiclly insulting her.Hes saying stuff she isnt which is a throw off type thing because when you think about shakespeare you think about love and happy stuff. This poem is like a insult letter.But all those things about her he still loves her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun"
    by William Shakespeare

    "And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
    As any she belied with false compare."

    Shakespeare definitely slayed her life in this poem. I feel bad for whoever that mistress is. But that goes to show that no matter how ugly she is, he still loves her. That's why I like the last line. It takes a real man to admit his love for a woman who isn't typically every man's dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun
    By:William Shakespeare

    "I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
    That music hath a far more pleasing sound;"
    "And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
    As any she belied with false compare."

    I like this poem because it is very straight foward. Also he is saying that even though all these things are wrong with her and there is nothing really that beautiful he still loves her. So it's true love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
    I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
    That music hath a far more pleasing sound;"

    This poem is very funny. It is very different from other love poems because it isnt saying that the girl isnt perfect but he loves her. He says her breath isnt all that good smelling, her hair isnt perfect, she walks like a monkey, and her voice is very annoying, but he still loves her. I love it, and i usually dont like love poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it. I think because it's not a typical love poem.

      Delete
  5. My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun
    by William Shakespeare

    "And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
    As any she belied with false compare."

    In this poem, Shakespeare is basically telling us how ugly his mistress is but the fact that he still loves her. He says her eyes are boring, her lips aren't red, he compares her hair to wire,her breath stinks,he'd rather listen to music than her voice, and she walks like a beast. At the end in the line I picked, he says that this is why their love is rare. Even with all the things that are wrong with her he sees past it and he still loves her. "Rare love" because it isn't the typical guy going after the beautiful women. This poem was intresting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice, perfect response. I'm glad you found it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Favorite Line: "My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;"

    It took me awhile to really understand this poem. When i read it a second time, I started notcing what he was really talking about. He's in love with a woman, that most people would find attractive. There's nothing special about her, her features are ordinary. But to him, she's his love. And when you love someone, its more about their inner beauty than their exterior.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shakespeare Sonnet
    By William Shakespeare

    Favorite Line: "Coral is far more red than her lips."

    This poem actually made me laugh. It was staright forward which I also like, you didn't really have to "decode" anything. It's basically him letting it out from his Mistress. I actually feel kind of sorry for her. This poem had good imagery, I really enjoyed it. I could picture this woman's appearance. The color of her lips especially. That is why I picked it as my favorite line it was a superb piece of description. Shakespeare is supposedly infamous for having really difficult poems to comprehend, but this one was not at all.

    ReplyDelete