Monday, March 12, 2012
After dark vapors have oppress'd our plains
by John Keats
After dark vapors have oppress'd our plains
For a long dreary season, comes a day
Born of the gentle South, and clears away
From the sick heavens all unseemly stains.
The anxious month, relieved of its pains,
Takes as a long-lost right the feel of May;
The eyelids with the passing coolness play
Like rose leaves with the drip of Summer rains.
The calmest thoughts came round us; as of leaves
Budding—fruit ripening in stillness—Autumn suns
Smiling at eve upon the quiet sheaves—
Sweet Sappho's cheek—a smiling infant's breath—
The gradual sand that through an hour-glass runs—
A woodland rivulet—a Poet's death.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After dark vapors have oppress'd our plains
ReplyDeleteby John Keats
The anxious month, relieved of its pains,
Takes as a long-lost right the feel of May;
The eyelids with the passing coolness play
Like rose leaves with the drip of Summer rains.
I like how that stanza mentions "The Anxious Month, relieved of its pains" . That reminds me of "April showers bring may flowers", since it's always raining in april it's almost like april is crying, relieving itself. I dont quite get the heart of the poem though.
After dark vapors have oppress'd our plains
ReplyDeleteby John Keats
Fav Line: "Like rose leaves with the drip of Summer rains."
I loved the description in this poem, although I cannot understand what it all ties in with. The heart of this story is unknown to me. I picked this line as my favorite one because it is just so easy to picture. In the poem it talks about the seasons, and different times in the year. showing the transitions between them just reinforces the imagery in the poem. Overall I really like this poem a lot.