Thursday, February 9, 2012

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

By: Dylan Thomas

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieve it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

9 comments:

  1. I dont understand this poem. I read it over and over again, and still nothing comes to mind. No pictures, no meaning, no ideas, no anything. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

    This just reminds me of Medivel Times with knights and rage and old age men. The dying light to me is like a candle burning out since they had no electricity back in the old times. I don't really understand the point of the poem, it just reminds me of the Dark Ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think a little bit deeper. What can the candle mean, don't look at it so literally. Look at it again.

      Delete
  3. "Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray."


    I read the poem over, re-reading the lines that confuse me, trying to coime up with something in my mind that will bring the whole poem together and I found nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night"
    By: Dylan Thomas

    "Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

    My perception of this poem tells me this poem is about the different types of people and how they live their nights. My favorite stanza is the first one, to me it says no matter how old someone is, they should rage against the night and enjoy themselves! The night is young, so don't let it pass by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look again at the image of night. Can it represent something? Some people go gently into the night because of being "wild." Look over the images. And think again...

      Delete
  5. this poem i dont understand that much but i think is about war.I believe its about death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which line did you enjoy? You are suppose to format your response the same way that you do in your poetry journal.

      Delete
  6. Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night
    By Dylan Thomas

    Favorite line: "Rage, rage against the dying of the light"

    I enjoyed this poem. The way i see it is that I think it is about death. To me the dieing light represents a few things. Maybe light is symbolizing the life in a person in genereal, like a match that was lit; and strives to not go out. When people see someones "light" fading away, they have a senese of anger, because they would accuse themselves immediately for the issue. This is why I picked that as my favorite line beacuse I understood it the best. This poem has repitition and usually I'm not a big fan of that, but it was good because it wasn't over-done.

    ReplyDelete